Average: 4.9 (476 votes)

May 31, 1977

Greensboro, NC US

Coliseum (NC)


Setlists for this tour include: The Song Remains The Same, (The Rover intro) Sick Again, Nobody's Fault But Mine, In My Time of Dying, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, Battle of Evermore, Going to California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, White Summer ~ Black Mountainside, Kashmir, (Out On the Tiles intro) Moby Dick, Jimmy Page solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love ~ Rock and Roll, Black Dog (?)


77 programme

Click here to view the US '77 Tour Programme (flipbook)

News Report: On May 31, Led Zeppelin made its first Greensboro appearance in over three years. We weaved through the flow of people and worked our way to the very top of the coliseum's second level.

Seated, we began a nervous anticipation of the appearance of Led Zeppelin, but were told via the supersonic loudspeakers that Led Zeppelin had been delayed. I had expected that, really. I've never been to a concert that started on time, and my string wouldn't be broken. The wait continued, dragging on while everyone sweltered in the heat of the coliseum and wondered if the air conditioning had been cut off.

The 17,000-plus crowd became impatient. Some were soothed by recorded music blaring from the loudspeakers; others wandered around trying to find decent seating; sought out friends for shout conversations; smoked; drank; and tossed Frisbees across the floor. And, some overly enthusiastic fans shot firecrackers periodically, the shots reverberating throughout the coliseum and sounding like an afternoon on the firing range.

Those fans on the floor pushed toward the stage in surges, crushing those on the front row to the point that security people, dressed in black T-shirts with Led Zeppelin printed in white across the chest, lifted those who were overcome by the crunch over the unsturdy fence. A concerned announcer kept asking those on the floor to move back and finally wound up playing a game of Simon Says, getting most everyone to take two giant steps backwards to relieve the pressure on the front stage area.

Finally, at 9:17, the house lights dimmed and the roar of the crowd was almost deafening. And when the multi-colored spotlight beams fell upon the stage, there stood John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant with John Bonham sitting behind his drums.

Above the din of cheers, screams, whistles and applause, Led Zeppelin opened with "The Song Remains The Same," and the animosity harbored because of the long wait was flushed and the concert spirit returned.

As soon as the group finished their opening number, Plant the lead singer, strutted to center stage and shouted, "Hello Greensboro," sending a ripple of cheers and applause through the coliseum that gave Led Zeppelin a hearty North Carolina welcome. Plant apologized for the lateness, explaining that they had lost some people in New York and had to wait for them before departing for Greensboro — thus the hour-plus delay.

Forgiven, Led Zeppelin launched into what was to be a three-hour and 27-minute concert — a show of sight and sound that left the Greensboro crowd dazed at their charismatic showmanship.

The special effects and lighting were unbelievable. Blue green, red, yellow and white spotlights from above the stage bathed the sweating performers in an eerie aura, blending in with the heavy metal sounds that emanated from the loudspeakers so forcefully that any position in the coliseum was ideal to enjoy the music and bear the words sum by Plant.

While John Paul Jones warmed up for "No Quarter," the fog machine covered the stage with a heavy white cloud'. During his solo bit, laser beams shot upwards and bounced off the high coliseum ceiling.

Jimmy Page had his moments also, performing almost non-stop with his assortment of guitars and showing off his expertise with the electric instruments. And, drummer John Bonham launched into his solo to allow the others a needed break. To add to the effect, Bonham's stage was mechanically thrust from the rear to center stage where fans were able to see him perform.

At 12:10 a.m, Led Zeppelin closed with "Stairway To Heaven" amidst cheers as loud as those at the outlet of the concert. Suddenly the concert was over. But a steady chant mixed with a rhythmic hand-clapping brought the foursome from the wings for an encore.

Here it's been 12 days since seeing and hearing Led Zeppelin, and the ears still ringing, but it was worth it! (E. Marshall, The Journal, June 12, 1977)

Submit your personal review of a particular show you attended, updates, corrections, etc., which will be considered for addition to the official online archive.

You may also contact the webmaster at: webmaster@ledzeppelin.com


Submit your personal review of a particular show you attended, updates, corrections, etc., which will be considered for addition to the official online archive.You may also contact the webmaster at: webmaster@ledzeppelin.com

May 31, 1977 Led Zeppelin show- I was there!

I was in the U.S. Marine Corps stationed at Camp Lejune, North Carolina, had just turned twenty-one years old. Five weeks before I was discharged, Led Zeppelin was scheduled to play the Greensboro Coliseum on May 31, 1977. There was NO WAY I could miss this show. I had wanted to see Led Zeppelin all my life and for whatever reason was never able to.
I requested a day of leave to see this show as it was on a week night and my Company Commander thought I was nuts to request a day of leave off to go see a concert. I explained to him that Led Zeppelin rarely tours anymore and I have wanted to see them as it could possibly be the last time they ever played in the United States (in hindsight I was very prophetic). The Captain agreed to grant me one day leave while shaking his head as he had never heard such a crazy request, he then told me to have a great time at the show.

There was a "head shop" in Jacksonville, North Carolina (can't remember the name of it now, possibly River City?) that had a bus chartered to make the almost four hour trip to the show but you had to spend the outrageous fee of $20 (keep in mind this also included the ticket to the show and a keg or two of beer that was also on the bus for us). Not a bad deal since the driving was left to them, I signed up as did several other Marines stationed on the base.

The day of the show when we arrived at the Coloseum, it was a madhouse. People were running everywhere and seemed to be in an excited state of confusion for lack of a better term. Inside it was even crazier, lots more confusion as well. I attempted to open the door to go down to the main floor, but a security guard was there and said I couldn't go down to the main floor as there were too many people already down there. I was kind of upset as I had ALWAYS shoved my way to the front of the stage in those days (I am 6' 3", 240# and very intimidating, plus I had very little hair then as the Marine Corps had us butchered high & tight). I then asked the security guard who I had to talk to to get down on the main floor and he pointed me to the owner (at least they told me that's who the guy was, the name Harold Wheeler comes to mind here, sorry if I'm a tad foggy on some details, it was over 30 years ago ok?). I went over to the guy I was directed to and he was in a pissed off mood and looked at me and said "What do you want" in a nasty tone. I told him that I was in the Marine Corps and a lot of us had chartered a bus to go to the concert and that I wrote for the local paper on base and I couldn't get the right camera angle I needed from up above and was wondering if I could get down below on the main floor to take better pictures of the band (I had borrowed a nice 35mm from a friend in my barracks to shoot at the show and had it hanging from my neck). He looked relieved and said "sure, is that all you want?" I told him yes and he then escorted me to the door I attempted to gain entry into earlier. He told the security guard "These two guys can go wherever they want" and then held the door open for us to enter down below. My friend and I then proceeded to walk toward the front of the stage and get between the barrier and the fans. This was one of the first shows I had seen a barrier between the stage and fans, in those days if you were in the front, you were usually leaning on the stage.

I remember a bit of a long wait before the show started, and I also remember some guy from the upper balcony trying to get to the main lower floor by repelling off of a belt he had attached to a rail from above and he fell many feet until he reached the bottom floor, not sure if he was injured or not, he got lostin the crowd. I also remembered some seats in the upper balcony area were on fire. The crowd was restless and rowdy for lack of a better term. Once the lights dimmed and the music started, the long anticipation was a loud cheer and everyone seemed to just groove into the night. To say that a certain kind of magic was in the air would be an understatement.

I didn't take notes nor do I recall the setlist, but I do remember many songs Led Zeppelin played (The Rain Song, No Quarter, In My Time Of Dying, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, Nobodys Fault But Mine, Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Moby Dick, Going To California, Black Mountainside, Black Country Woman, Achilles Last Stand to name a few). I remember Plant saying they were sorry for the delay, but they had to wait for someone in New York before they could leave, and I also remember him leading the crowd into singing Happy Birthday as it was Bonhams birthday. I also remember somewhere in the middle of the show where all the members sat on chairs and played a segment of acoustic songs (Plant was on tambourine during this part of the show). I also remember Jimmy using the violin bow on an extended solo along with the lasers above him doing what looked like Jimmy in the middle of a pyramid, it was amazing. The show lasted a long time (from what I remember a little over three hours). Bonhams' drum solo was killer as well and his drum kit was on some track and was moved to the front of the stage during his solo, I had never seen anything like that, it was dynamic. It was one hell of a night and it was very hot in that auditorium, everyone was sweating and loving it. Led Zeppelin definately conquered the state of North Carolina that evening. My expectations were met and then some, it was definately a Hammer Of The Gods night.

After the show was over, on my way back to the bus I noticed a table with Led Zeppelin T-shirts in the hallway. I bought the black one (the famous one that is reproduced everywhere it seems) and decided not to go for the white T-shirt of the same design (but had blue ink instead of black). I still have the shirt and rarely wear it anymore. I can't remember what is cost (either $5 or $10, it's a blur to me now), but it's a night that I will never forget. Hot, sweaty, loud awesome music, and very magical. The bus trip back was a blur and most of us on it were still in awe from the performance we had jsut seen in person. Something I'm sure every real Led Zeppelin fan can attest to.

The next day back on base, my Captain asked me how the concert was and I just smiled a broad grin at him and said "amazing!" He said he was glad I had a good time.