The Ulster Hall is one of the oldest Buildings owned by the Belfast City Council. It was built originally in 1862 and designed by W.J. Barre for the Ulster Hall Company. About the same time Mr Andrew Mulholland, an ex-Mayor of Belfast, presented the Mulholland Organ to the people of Belfast. This was fitted in the Ulster Hall in less than a year by William Hill and remains as one of the oldest & original examples of classical English organ-building being played today.
The Ulster Hall was purchased by the Belfast City Council in 1902 for £13,500. The Hall and the Group Theatre (originally the minor hall) have played host to a variety of personalities throughout the years.